Saturday, November 24, 2007

Of Things I Left Behind. #2 (Memories of Food)

Basic Requirement #1: Food.

I was having coffee with a friend back from Leeds at "Mocha-Coffee and Conversations" and guess what we did there; we had coffee and conversations. I had a great time catching up for an entire year lost without Leeds' gossip! Can you imagine how much there was to talk about?! Well, and despite that, I could not get images from Kada's Cafe out of my head. I never actually figured the way to that place and I went there a minimum of 4 times (definitely), but then I guess I was always with 'DP', so I never bothered remembering it. Anyways getting back to Kada's, I loved the Cafe Mocha they served, oh! and the carrot cake *mouth-watering* It had a very Moroccan look to it. Nice dim lights (not the stumble-and-find-your-way types), cozy sitting areas (lots of pillows), low, ornate tables and windows and most importantly a genial owner. Perfect for an intimate rendezvous. AND this was the only place open till 3am!!! That was the USP really; what with Starbucks and Cafe Nero shut by 6pm sharp!

'La Cafeteria'!! Anytime anyone felt they were in a festive mood or just wanted to randomly celebrate, this was the place for us! Outdoor seating like Cafes in Paris, indoors there were replicas of Van Gogh hanging on the walls, music instruments waiting for anyone who cared to play them. A set of games kept near the door,very welcoming ambience and a brilliant cook. Specialities of this place: Arabic pizza, Potato wedges with the most perfect salsa I've ever tried, the chocolatiest chocolate cake with ice-cream/whipped cream (Only I preferred whipped cream...oh, well!), the fruity drink (served in big, coloured glasses with coloured straws, you have to trust me on this one, it looked beautiful) and the chocolate drink with whipped cream and marshmallows (Yuummmmmmmmmmmmm...I'm hungry now).

And the last on my favourites list, "Jino's Thai". I guess the name says it all. The most authentic and tasty thai food ever! Very friendly people (who allowed outside booze and luckily for us Sommerfield was on the way, so picking up a wine was always more than convienient). The only other thing, after the long distance, that bothered us was "By Reservations Only" and on a weekend, imagine what a pain it used to be!

Of course, there were other places we frequented, some more than any of the above hang-outs, for example there was the 'Refectory' where we went for all our lunches as long as we were in Labs, there were pizzas from 'Papa's', 'Romeez', sandwiches from 'Bakery 164', Veggie Pittas at 'Nandos', coffees and sandwiches at all the 'La Dolce Vitas', danishes, tarts, cookies from Ainsleys, and then the usual Pizza Huts and Burger Kings and McDonalds... But well, the time I spent at my 3 favourites has been awesome, the conversations, memorable and all the people I went there with, very special.

"Ah! Those were the days..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could you forget Akbar's and Spicemania and Rendezvous and the wraps from Wrapture and all the desserts from M&S and the chocolates and ice-cream from Thornton's and the baked potatoes with beans on the streets and SO many other places??

I am not happy! :'(

kyun? kyun? kyun inki koi value nahi hai?! :'(

The Solitary Dreamer said...

arre baba, lots of value it has, aise kaise koi value nahi... of course i remember all that (and a lot more), happy? :)

i also remember all the potluck parties, the BBQs, the cooking-shooking, the baking and order-ins and *everything*!

you happy now?