Thursday, February 14, 2008

Another Random Blog-post About My Teaching (In)Abilities...

I cannot teach what I know. I only teach what I have learnt.



Knowing is innate. It is instinctive. It is the "gut" feeling. Sometimes I just know things. I cannot trace it back to any text, any reference, anything I have seen, any thing I have experienced, any conversation with anyone ever, but I can be dead certain of its authenticity. In fact I would believe in my known more than I would trust my learnt. I would go as far as fight for what I know. And for me this what-ever-it-is is inexplicable. Where does this know originate? Why do I stand by it so fiercely? How does it happen that 90 out of 100 times, what I know is accurate?

Why is it that I cannot teach something I know? Why is it so hard?

Probably, when people don't understand each other, or their wavelengths differ, it is the difference in these innate abilities which are responsible I think. What has been built in an individual is distinctly different; there is hard-core, factual evidence for that. Learning is acquired. It needs an activating event to trigger the intiation of the process. It something one collects, computes and stores in memory cells, ready to use whenever called up on at a later date. Even then, there is the sifting process by which one remembers what one has learnt, only very selectively. Learning, might seem difficult. According to me, it can be passed on rather easily.

In knowing and learning things, I've found a pattern. They are both a function of time; active or passive. At this stage, it is still difficult for me to define them individually, but I have a vague sense that what I am saying should make sense somehow, in time. It's just that I cannot explain it right now. And I think I cannot put it in words because this whole theory or hypothesis that I've formulated in my brain is something I "know". Had I learnt this, I would have a vocabulary and references ready.

A lot of meditation, a lot of thought still needs to be given to these random hypotheses I have in my mind. I need a structure, a logical theory, a formula of sorts to explain these things to myself...to convert innate knowledge to acquired knowledge, and ultimately become a better teacher both to self and non-self students. :D

No comments: