Sunday, October 7, 2007

Thinking In Sound.

‘M’ emailed me a couple of articles she read about famous people who ‘think in sound’. That got me thinking if it was actually possible. Actually possible for me.

Language would be an imitation of sound to help better communication between living beings. It is a means of expression. Now, language, when it follows a tradition, brings with it certain barriers in it's universal appeal in expression. (That is why, there are SO many languages and to add to it, every region has a dialect of it’s own.)
That is not the case with sound. Sounds sound the same the world over; the sound of pouring rain, the billowing wind, a bark, a sneeze; you can travel anywhere on this planet and they are still going to sound just the same.

So, what I’m inferring here is that sound, probably, will make a universal statement in comparision to language, and if used appropriately with language, will be a very powerful means of expression. (?!) And that makes thinking in sound important for people who are in the audio-visuals business.

I’ve been speaking in sounds, but there, the sound is for the effect. I wasn’t sure if I could think in sound. Sound says a lot without actually having to spell out everything.

Attempt to think and write in sound:

Early morning sounds in the life of ‘P’:

BRRRIIINNNNGGGGG! BRRRIIINNNNGGGGG! BRRRIIINNNNGGGGG! BRRRIIINNNNGGGGG! BRRRIIINNNNGGGGG!
Click.

Rustle. Yawn. Swoosh.

Plod, plod, plod, plod, plod, plod… drip, drip, drip in the background becoming louder.

(oh! well! I have to use other words, I’m too used to thinking in language to be able to give up on it completely)

Pppppppfffffffffrrrrr, pffffrr----pffffrrr, brushing sound, pthoooo, gargle, phtooo
Splash, splash

Plod, plod,plod, plod
Clack, click, click
Bubbling/boiling sound.
Click, click, clack

Clink, clink.
Pour.
Phooo, phooo...
Gulp...

---

Arrrgh! This is so darned tiring! and I don't even know if this is actually making any sense with simply the sounds?!

Overdose of Onomatopoeia?! I hope not!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!...but i still can't ROFLMAO...

Anyway, the fact that I could see the images of your noises, must mean you have made a good start ;) .... still lol....

The Solitary Dreamer said...

@ meetu:
I wasn't trying to be funny. :(
Honestly, it's a plain attempt at making significant sounds. That's all.

The Solitary Dreamer said...

@ meetu:
thanks for the appreciation tho' :D

Anonymous said...

Sincere apologies! I find humor where none exists...